Sometimes ,when you go vegan you day dream about that one thing you miss from your meat/dairy eating days. Don't get frustrated...just get creative. I have yet to find something I can't make in a similar vegan form. A friend of mine asked me to make a vegan version of this soup. I have never had the Olive Garden version but, if it is anything like this soup it is fabulous! We don't use a lot of meat substitutes. Every once in a while I can see it working in a dish. With a little research I came up with this version. I do believe if you served this to a die hard carnivore they too will gobble it up. This recipe contains potatoes. Mmmm... potatoes. Potatoes are a very good source of vitamin C, a good source of vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber.
Potatoes also contain a variety of phytonutrients that have antioxidant activity. Among these important health-promoting compounds are carotenoids, flavonoids, and caffeic acid, as well as unique tuber storage proteins, such as patatin, which exhibit activity against free radicals.
This recipe is gluten-free (when using gluten-free soy sausage), vegan, contains soy and cashews.
Olive Garden® Zuppa Toscana
- 1 lb ground soy sausage
- 1½ tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 large diced white onion
- 4 Tbsp bac'un pieces
- 2 tsp garlic puree
- 10 cups water
- 5 tsp of better than bouillon vegetable or 5 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup soy cream ( I used Fresh and Easy brand)
- 1 lb peeled sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
- ¼ of a bunch of kale
- (optional) 3 Tbsp of cashews soaked over night in water for added creaminess
- Spray pan and sauté sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot.
- Clean bottom of pan then cook onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
- Add bouillon, bac'un and water to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
- Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
- Add the cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
- (optional) blend 2 cups of soup with three Tbsp cashews and add to the rest of the soup
- Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve. Delicious!
You can find these @ Whole Foods in the seasonings isle.